Healthy Hampton Roads
Connect and Share
Healthy Hampton Roads in now on Facebook! "LIKE US" to learn what communities and organizations across the region are doing to to promote healthy people and places; share stories and pictures of what YOU are doing to be healthy.
CINCH hosted its 2nd Combating Obesity: The Healthy Hampton Roads Leadership Summit on March 22, 2013 at Eastern Virginia Medical School. The purpose of the summit was to provide "hands-on", practical information and resources to help put in action the obesity prevention strategies that were presented at the 1st summit in Oct. 2011. Based on initial feedback from attendees, we accomplished our goal!
What They Said
When asked what they enjoyed most about this summit, here are some of the responses we received:
- "The information and resources are very realistic and can be utilized in the workplace and limited income communities."
- "Networking; meeting new professionals. Breakout sessions were informative/relevant."
- "The information that was given to take with you was simple and to the point."
- "Knowledgable speakers; relevant & interesting topics."
- "Venue - EVMS is beautiful and perfect for this event."
- "Content was great!"
- "The speech given by Mayor Kenneth Wright. The lunch round table discussions were very good."
- "The fact that I am walking away with action items. I gained nuggets of proven programmtic solutions to our city's challenges, especially relating to walkability & bikeabilitiy."
Over 230 attendees attended a variety of dynamic presentations and walked away with a wealth of resources, tools and knowledge to use in their workplaces, neighborhoods, schools etc. to combat obesity in our communities and in our region. To view these presentations, click on the titles listed below.
- Did it Work? Prove it to Me!
- Step Up! Stairwell to Health
Here are some additional resources provided by this speaker (click on the links below to view):
~ StairWELL Campaign Toolkit
~ FAQs for Building Managers
~ Stairwell Article (American Journal of Preventive Medicine)
~ Stairwell Article References (other journals)
- Get Active @SocialMedia #HRVA
- Eating Healthy at Work
- Diabetes 101
- It's a Family Affair: A Team Approach to Childhood Obesity
- Hallelujah to Health! Working with Faith Communities
Click on link to view additional information provided by this presenter:
Hallelujah to Health Reference and Resource List
Additional faith-based toolkit developed by CINCH:
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
Part 1: Community Gardens
Part 2: Community Gardens (continued)
Part 3: East Oceanview Garden Project
- Too Big, Too Soon! Combating Obesity in Early Childcare
- Building Healthy Community Partnerships
- 2 Feet, 2 Wheels Can Travel: Creating Walk & Bike Friendly Communities
Part 1: Creating Walk & Bike Friendly Communities
Part 2: Eastern Shore Walkable Communities
- Change That Lasts - Creating Healthy Communities